Friday, May 14, 2010

Why Are You Helping The Next Person?

One of the things I have observed is that we tend to help others with the expectation of receiving more. That in itself is so fine. However, the most critical thing is WHY ARE YOU HELPING THAT PERSON?

The simplest answer is that you are helping the person because he/she is in need. If you can dig deeper, is that the real motive you are helping the person? If your honest answer is YES, continue doing so.

In some cases we find ourselves obliged to help the needy because it is the right thing to do (in the eyes of the witnesses). We help others because we are driven by the belief that we shall receive more, especially where money or wealth is involved. Our focus then is not on the actual assistance we are giving to this next person but on what shall come to us.

Let me simplify this: So many companies are involved in corporate responsibility programmes. This is commendable because they are investing their profits to help the needy. Honestly speaking, for some companies they are investing in such because they really support a good cause but for some their eyes are set on the (marketing) benefits of such initiatives.

Why are you helping the next person? This is a question that has troubled me the last few days. I am involved in charity work, and I try in whatever way I can to help the next person. Help comes in different forms, depending on the needs of the individual.

Recently I asked myself this question, “Why is it that when I complain about being broke, a stranger comes along and ask for the last coins I have in my pocket?” I have lost count of such instances but the peace and joy I feel inside once I have helped this person is immeasurable!

Two weeks ago I was looking for vegetables at the bus rank and had budgeted for E5 packages sold by the vendors. I bought a package of Green Pepper from one lady and she was selling it for E3. Instead of taking back the E2 change, I asked the lady to keep it. I did the same for another lady who was selling lettuce for the same amount.

I asked myself why I did this. E2 is such a small amount of money but you may not realize how much it means to an old lady who plies her trade as a street vendor (you can paint a mental picture of a street vendor’s life). I suddenly felt I could do more for these ladies. I WAS DOING IT OUT OF LOVE AND COMPASSION!

“If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?” (I John 3:17)

My point is that we need to evaluate the things we do and understand why we are doing them. Whatever we do, we should do it as if we are serving the Lord. When we extend our hand to help the next person, we should not do it for our selfish reasons but do it out of a loving heart. In that way we are demonstrating our love for God.

“God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. (Hebrews 6:10). Let us continue helping our brothers and sisters who need our support in any way and do it because we love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment